10 Must Important Things You Should Do After Installing WordPress
The Good Question is What to do After Installing WordPress on your hosting?
If you did not go beyond installing WordPress or even you don’t know How?! please read our Guide: How to install WordPress.
In this Tutorial, We’ll show you step by step how to do the 10 must important things After Installing WordPress, It’s easy tutorial about the essential things you should do after setting up WordPress:
General Settings: Change The Site Title, Tagline, Time zone:
The first step to change 3 things from one place in your WordPress Admin Dashboard.
To do that, Go to Settings >> General in your dashboard. Rewrite your Site title and Tagline to something that relates to your site.
Now scroll down the same page to change your time zone and select right timezone for you, It is very important to get the accurate date on your site, and it also helps with scheduling posts.
Choose A Search Engine Friendly URL Permalink structure:
WordPress’s default permalink structure is not a search engine friendly, WPMood recommends you to change your default permalink structure to something else.
Go to Settings >> Permalink in your dashboard, You will find a few different choices for setting a new structure. The best permalink structure is post name. Select the one you prefer and then save your changes.
Adjust the Reading Settings:
Reading settings configure how your site is viewed. You can decide if you want posts or a “static” Page displayed as your blog’s front (main) page. You can also adjust how many posts are displayed on that main page. In addition, you can adjust syndication feed features to determine how the information from your site is sent to a reader’s web browser or other applications.
Go to Settings >> Reading in your dashboard, Select a front page to show your latest posts or choose a static page, some WordPress themes design require a static front page to work. Make your choice and then save your changes.
Select the Perfect WordPress Theme & Delete Unused Themes:
There are plenty of free and premium themes. Each theme looks better than the other. To choose the best theme for WordPress, there are many things you should consider, for more details please read our article Choosing the best WordPress theme for your site.
But for Now, Let Me Explain How to add a new theme, activate a theme and delete Unused themes.
Go to Appearance >> Themes in your dashboard, You will find the default WordPress themes, you can choose one of them by hover over the theme image and the buttons will show up (Activate / Live Preview), Or use add New Button to select themes from wordpress.org or Upload a theme from your PC.
To delete a theme, you need to hover over the theme image and select Theme Details. After that, a window will open and the option to delete the theme will be available there.
Install essential plugins:
Install a Cache Plugin
Cache plugin helps speed up your site. You need to improve page speed and user experience of your website with caching. Take the load off your server and make your site faster. This is great for your visitors and SEO.
WPMood recommends 2 of the Most Popular WordPress Caching Plugins that will speed your WordPress site:
- W3 Total Cache: The only WordPress Performance Optimization (WPO) framework; designed to improve user experience and page speed. Recommended by web hosts like Page.ly, Synthesis, DreamHost, MediaTemple, Go Daddy, Host Gator and countless more.
- WP Super Cache: A very fast caching engine for WordPress that produces static HTML files.
Install a WordPress SEO Plugin
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the visibility of a website on organic (“natural” or un-paid) search engine result pages (SERPs), So the SEO is an important thing of the internet industry. SEO is the search engine visibility of your site, To optimize your WordPress site, you need to use an SEO plugin.
WPMood highly recommends Yoast SEO plugin as the best choice, that will improve your WordPress SEO. Yoast SEO is one of the most popular WordPress plugins, developed by Joost de Valk and his team.
Install an Anti-Spam Plugin
Comment spam is a fact of life if you have a blog. Using WordPress, you have not only solid built-in tools to prevent comment spam, there are also a wide range of comment spam protection and defense plugins and methods to choose from if you feel you need additional coverage and protection.
WordPress come with Akismet Plugin installed by default, Akismet is one of the most popular anti-spam plugins for WordPress, WPMood recommends you enable this plugin.
To enable Akismet on your WordPress blog, go to the Plugins panel and activate the Plugin. You will be prompted to get an API key from Akismet.com after you sign up for a payment plan. After Akismet is activated, you’ll see a menu added to the Comments Panel that holds a list of “caught” comment spam.
Install WordPress Security plugin
When you finish the WordPress installation, the next important thing is how to protect and secure your site from malicious attacks? There are lots of security plugins available on the market that help you to that, secure your WordPress website from hackers and other malicious attacks.
WPMood recommends 2 of the best WordPress security plugins:
- WordFence Plugin: WordFence is one of the most popular WordPress security plugins. Wordfence Security is 100% free and open source. This plugin offers a Premium API key that gives you Premium Support, Country Blocking, Scheduled Scans, Password Auditing and more.
- Sucuri Security Plugin: This plugin is from the popular website security and auditing company Sucuri. This plugin offers various security features like security activity auditing, file integrity monitoring, malware scanning, blacklist monitoring, and website firewall. It incorporates various blacklist engines including Google Safe Browsing, Sucuri Labs, Norton, McAfee Site Advisor and more to check your website. If there is anything wrong, it will notify you via email.
Install WordPress Backup plugin
Scheduling Regular backup of your site is very important after setting up WordPress, which helps to recover your site in case of server crash or when you need a new host. There are so many free and premium backup plugins available that create backup of your website and keep your site safe and secure.
WPMood recommends 2 of best free and premium backup plugins:
- BackWPup Free – WordPress Backup Plugin: BackWPup is one of the most popular WordPress plugins that creates backups of your entire website. This plugin is easy to install and use. It creates a backup of your database and repairs it if required. You can also send backup to different cloud storage services like Amazon S3, Dropbox, Microsoft Azure and much more. You can also store backup to FTP servers.
- VaultPress is a real-time backup and security scanning service designed and built by Automattic, the same company that operates 25+ million sites on WordPress.com. The VaultPress plugin provides the required functionality to backup and synchronizes every post, comment, media file, revision and dashboard settings on our servers. To start safeguarding your site, you need to sign up for a VaultPress subscription.
Install Jetpack plugin
Jetpack is a single plugin that gives you the most powerful WordPress.com features, hooking your self-hosted WordPress site to WordPress.com’s infrastructure to take advantage of robust stats, easy social sharing, and a whole lot more.
With Jetpack, you can:
- Install over two dozen popular plugins with one click (and update them all the same way).
- Engage millions of WordPress.com users, allowing them to interact with your site.
- Boost your site’s performance by taking a load of these features off your servers.
- Count on regular updates, enhancements, and troubleshooting from the same folks who build WordPress.com.
Thanks for reading! Leave me a comment below, and let me know if you have used any of these useful tips to do after installing a WordPress site ?